Groton activities: Varsity soccer and basketball
Most surprising when you first arrived at Groton: I did not anticipate how much fun dorm life could be, or how quickly everyone becomes a family, even if you are a day student (like me). I received so much love and support from people I had met only weeks before, and I was happily surprised by how quickly I was able to form deep connections with my formmates.
Favorite class: Third Form Biology, taught by Mr. Belksy, a fantastic and engaging teacher. I loved this course because it was the first science class where I was finally able to do real, hands-on experiments. Dissecting fetal pigs and learning pig anatomy was the highlight of winter term, and the most exciting thing I have ever done in a school room.
Most memorable Groton moment: Thinking about my first year at Groton brings back a lot of great memories, but the one that really sticks in my mind is Surprise Holiday during winter term. A few friends and I decided to take a bus to the mall and spend some quality time off campus, without having to worry about impending tests or homework. Although most of the day is a blur and I can’t recall what I ate for lunch or if I bought anything, I vividly remember every second that we spent in a cramped little karaoke booth singing old Katy Perry songs. It was an important reminder that while we go to Groton to get an excellent education, it is necessary to let loose and have fun when you get the chance.
Favorite dining hall food: Tacos
- “MADISON GET IN HERE!” My dad shouts from the other end of the house. I almost drop my computer in my haste to get from my secluded office to the living room, where he was watching the final game of … Read More
- Coming back to campus was accompanied with a rush of emotions. Most of them are gleefully cheerful, as I am finally able to see my friends and classmates face to face, without staring at a screen for hours on end. … Read More
- Needless to say, the pandemic has been extremely hard on everyone. I myself have struggled to find ways to return to normalcy and get into a routine that doesn’t drive me crazy. I think we are all searching for an … Read More
- I have to admit, it was a struggle to watch boarders return to school a week before classes while I sat at home, locked away in my quarantine cave. For months and months I had been dreaming of going back … Read More
- A couple days ago, my mom and I were able to escape our house and go to an amazing vintage shop in Somerville. I had been waiting, rather impatiently, to go to this store for so long (but hey, quarantine). … Read More
- When I was little my family went camping all the time but, as I got older, weekends became devoted to sports. So this summer my mom decided we should go to Vermont for a quick camping trip, just us and … Read More