Most surprising when you first arrived at Groton: Your prefects (seniors who live in your dorms with you) really do try their best to be friends with you and make your time at Groton better, from the very first day.
Favorite classes: Advanced Ecology with Dr. Black and Theater and the Creative Process with Laurie Sales. One of these classes had me digging red-backed salamanders out of the ground and making pivot charts in Excel, and the other had me making experimental theater and staging short skits over the course of a class period. I love that I could do both in one day.
Groton activities: Theater, both on and off stage; swim team; head of Humanism Club
Most memorable Groton moment: Taking a bow after directing my first play at the One-Acts Festival
Favorite Dining Hall food: Brocc-Chick (otherwise known as chicken and broccoli with a cheese sauce)
Favorite Surprise Holiday: My Third Form year, a few friends and I went to all three of the record stores in Cambridge trying to find a copy of “Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars” by David Bowie. On the third try we found it, but had to sprint to make it back to the bus on time.
- As the spring term starts to get underway, there are any number of things that students here get excited about: spending time on the Circle in the sun, playing tent ball with the spring formal and prize day tents, feeling … Read More
- What happens if you reintroduce wolves into the Yellowstone ecosystem? They hunt and kill deer. The deer population decreases. With the some of the deer gone, the levels of vegetation increase. Tall grasses and early successional plants replace plains. Trees … Read More
- Lighting design is one of those things, like film editing or magazine layout, that most people only ever notice when it is bad. While I might walk out of a show and babble on about the way that the lighting … Read More
- The beauty of a tutorial (our word for an independent study) is that you and your teacher can work on any problem that you two find interesting. This means that the work you do is guaranteed to be fascinating. … Read More
- I have done a lot of theater. I have acted in four shows and directed two more in my time at Groton alone. And yet, here I am, starting rehearsals for the fall show Twelfth Night feeling like I have … Read More
- For my first post, I thought I would just go ahead and lay it all out for you. So here it is: this is my favorite thing about Groton. It was in Third Form that I first showed an interest … Read More