Film Club Debut

This is a picture of Julien and me, along with our friend Tilly, who is a head of Unicef and the Business and Management Club, at the school club fair two weeks ago.

This year I have become increasingly involved in extracurricular activities at school. It’s been tough juggling a heavier school load along with my other activities, but as an Upper Schooler I’ve found myself wanting to be involved in more and more activities as I’m realizing that there’s only so much I can do in the short time I have left as a Groton student.

I am a member of the school’s new MIT launch club, which I am very excited about. I am a team leader of the Diversity and Inclusion task force, which means I help Ms. Sen Das, the teacher sponsor and director of the task force, along with twelve other Fifth and Sixth Formers, to plan the meetings for the rest of the students on the task force. In that capacity, I will also help lead my dorm discussions on issues that Diversity and Inclusion sponsors. I also am an assistant features editor for the school newspaper, the Circle Voice. What I am most excited about, however, is being a head of Film Club.

As of right now, when people ask me what I want to do, I tell them I want to be a screenwriter and director. I love to write, and my favorite movies are the ones that I judge to have the best screenplays. In fact, I’ve always wanted to do something to do with writing ever since I was a kid. I bounced from wanting to be a novelist, to considering journalism, to now wanting to screenwriter. Therefore, I am very excited to head Film Club. My friend, Julien Alam, and I are co-heading the club. Film Club has been an on-again, off-again club on campus since we were both in Second Form, but this year we’re trying to revamp it and make it a serious activity for students on campus.

Two weeks ago was the all-school club fair. Julien and I were both very nervous to debut the club, but we enjoyed a lot of sign-ups. This past Thursday we held our first meeting. I think one of the most nerve-wracking, cringe-inducing things one must eventually do on this campus is send an email to the whole school. The week prior to the meeting, when we were planning out what we would do in the first meeting, Julien and I  playfully argued about who would send out the initial email telling people when and where the club would meet.  It is super daunting. There is also something exhilarating about sending out an email for your club. It is a sign of getting older and taking charge. I still think it’s crazy that I’m a Fifth Former and that Lower Schoolers look up to me. That being said, the first meeting was a huge success. We had a great turnout for our first ever meeting, and we got positive reviews after it was over. During the meeting we went around and did introductions, watched a clip of Barry Jenkins, the director of Moonlight, talking about his process during production, talked as a group about what film meant to us individually, and finally we finished with a short project wherein everyone split into groups and was given ten minutes to compose a short “film” on their phones.

Julien and I were both really pleased with how the meeting went. I cannot wait to see what else the club accomplishes in the coming weeks.